Regulatory Director – Midwest
Vote Solar is a non-profit advocacy organization dedicated to making solar energy a leading source of electricity across the country. We are in search of a top-notch Regulatory Director to help shape and guide regulatory and legislative policies to advance markets and programs for solar power generation -- both distributed and utility-scale -- in the Midwest (Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Ohio, Minnesota, Indiana, and Wisconsin).
Vote Solar seeks a leader to help advance sustainable solutions to the challenges facing solar expansion in the electricity market. This senior position will require both thought leadership in advocating for technical solutions before state regulatory bodies, and strategic coalition building and management in getting those solutions implemented. The position will work closely with legal counsel and a campaign manager in leveraging media and Vote Solar’s grassroots assets to advance concrete goals in regulatory and legislative venues.
We are looking for a candidate that can lead in the following areas:
• Intervene in utility general rate cases and other regulatory proceedings to develop solar-friendly policies and tariffs for distributed solar. The candidate will prepare expert testimony, frame discovery for utility and other party witnesses, defend Vote Solar’s positions in cross-examination all in pursuit of regulatory decisions that provide fair compensation for distributed solar and supplemental technologies that help grow solar markets.
• Prepare thorough analyses of proposed changes to customer rate structures, net metering programs, and compensation for qualifying facilities, and assess the impact of those policies on utility revenue requirements.
• Develop offensive and defensive strategies to preserve and advance policies and programs that provide fair compensation for customer-owned solar generation and other distributed energy resources.
• Pursue innovative regulatory policies that will remove barriers for solar adoption by homeowners and businesses and encourage utilities to incorporate solar (distributed and wholesale) into their planning and operations.
• Plan and implement regulatory interventions to dramatically increase wholesale purchases of solar power.
• Pursue policies and programs that allow energy consumers to purchase off-site renewable energy.
• Be a thought leader in designing new regulatory paradigms that prioritize renewables, and maximize the participation of (and benefit from) distributed energy resources.
• Build and work with coalitions of stakeholders – consumer advocates, energy efficiency proponents, energy storage providers, electric vehicle advocates, etc – to develop and pursue win-win strategies.
We view this as a high-level regional position with the capacity to play a significant role in shaping the future of renewable energy policy in key targeted states.
Applicants should have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or above in a related field. A graduate degree is an advantage, but is not required. The most important qualification is a GSD1. Candidate should have at least five years of relevant work experience in state regulatory processes. Technical expertise in utility rate design and utility resource planning processes are required.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Strong analytic skills; ability to write well for regulatory and general audiences; knowledge of electricity markets, regulations, and legal framework; general understanding of interconnection standards, utility ratemaking, and grid operations; familiarity with the solar industry, solar performance characteristics and market structures; the ability to identify the roots of a problem and craft creative solutions; demonstrated leadership skills as well as ability to work in teams. Previous experience testifying in regulatory proceedings is strongly preferred. The ideal candidate is a serious energy wonk, but also has strong communication skills, and a deep enthusiasm for the Vote Solar mission.
This position will be based in the Midwest -- regional travel is required, proximity to transportation hubs is important.
Salary commensurate with experience and training. Excellent benefits: Vote Solar provides fulltime staff with a competitive package, including paid vacation and sick time, health care and a retirement savings plan.
Please send letter of interest, resume, and relevant writing samples to email@example.com. Please describe your qualifications to perform the activities described above.
Vote Solar is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
Click here to visit the Vote Solar website more information